[vdr] Re: Siemens dvb-c and HTV

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Marko Kenttälä wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Marko Myllymaa wrote:
>
> > I'm having problems with Siemens DVB-C card and HTV network in Helsinki.
> > To be more precise, I have problems with channels that uses QAM128.
> >
> > I'm using vdr-1.2.6 and I've tried DVB driver from Klaus's web site and
> > also todays (5.12.2003) cvs.
> >
> > Cvs is a bit better but there's still quite alot errors in the picture.
> >
> > What can I do to make it work?
>
> Same here, so I switched back to the second latest DVB driver on Klaus's
> ftp site in the Developer directory. It seems to work just fine. I made a
> quick diff between the drivers and it seems only the firmware has changed
> and it has broken QAM128 support on Siemens cards. I haven't yet tested
> newer releases.

I tried that version (2003-10-13), but it had no affect on my
reception. I also tested today's CVS version. Both look the same.

Now I tried my box with shorter cable. It works.. somehow..
I had long cable (16 meters) which included one extra joint. Picture was
unwatchable with that one. Now I tested it with only 3m cable and now I
have a lot less errors. But there are still annoyingly much errors, moving
parts of the image goes to mosaic about 2 times in a minute. And that's
imho too much. I could tolerate one mosaic in an hour..

Is the signal i nmy wall outlet that poor that Siemens dvb-c can't have
good reception on QAM128 channels? QAM64 channels are fine, even with the
longer cable.

Can the signal be improved with amplifier in my wall outlet? (As I would
like to have that long cable..) Is there any way to find out weather I
have poor signal or too much noice in the signal? Afaik amplifier could
help on former one, but not on the latter.

Does somebody know if HTV is willing to boost it's signal's power based on
my poor reception?

That's alot of questions, hopefully somebody can answer to them also..

  Marko