[vdr] Re: vdr at dbox2

Carsten Koch wrote:

> Andreas Oberritter wrote:
> > While TS playback has been tested quite well with Neutrino (and Enigma
> > now, too), PES playback using audio0 and video0 has not. Keeping the
> > stuff in sync is very hard.
>
> That matches my observation.
>
> > This will never happen with a properly muxed TS where audio and video
> > pes packets can be transmitted "simultaneously" because of the small and
> > fixed TS packet size.
>
> I know very little about all that, but I did notice that the data
> currently produced by VDR can be played back or otherwise processed
> only by very few programs such as mplayer and pvastrumento.
> So I guess it might be a big step forward to move to a better format
> again. There has already been the move from AV_PES to PES in the past.

AV_PES was a proprietary, non standard format, so changing that was certainly
right. PES on the other hand is AFAIK the recommended format for _storing_
recordings, while TS is the format for _broadcasting_.

> I wonder how Klaus would feel about that?

Changing VDR's recording format to TS is not going to happen.
I would be willing to change the replay functionality so that it
sends video and audio data into separate devices (see my other post in this
thread). This would most likely be a step in the right direction.

Maybe the problems some software players are having is as simple as
some missing or "not as expected" headers in the PES data? If somebody
can come up with some fine tuning here, that could be done.

Klaus