[vdr] Re: vdr at dbox2

Carsten Koch wrote:
Holger Waechtler wrote:

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

Carsten Koch wrote:

I know very little about all that, but I did notice that the data
currently produced by VDR can be played back or otherwise processed
only by very few programs such as mplayer and pvastrumento.
So I guess it might be a big step forward to move to a better format
again. There has already been the move from AV_PES to PES in the past.

AV_PES was a proprietary, non standard format, so changing that was certainly
right. PES on the other hand is AFAIK the recommended format for _storing_
recordings, while TS is the format for _broadcasting_.

Yes, TS was initially intended as transport format for broadcasting services, but since you can simply include useful meta informations like SI data, recording timestamps, teletext and subtitles into your recording by simply enabling the appropriate PID filters it is well-suited as archive format too.

The 'real' format that was intended for archives was probably PS, not PES.

In summary, am I right that

AV_PES is proprietary and should therefore not be considered.

PES    was intended for storing, but is not widely supported by players
       and postprocessors.
it's more an intermediate format used in drivers and remultiplexers which don't need embedded meta-informations. I doubt it was ever intended to be used by applications or as storage format.

TS     was intended for transport, but is very well suited for storing.
       Also not widely supported by many players and postprocessors.
TS can be decoded by every DVB hardware. All the recent software decoders can decode it as well.

PS     was intended for storing and is the format that most players
       inderstand, but is not as flexible as TS.
To be short: TS more common in the DVB world, PS is more widely used by people who work in the DVD world - so PS is right now better supported by software decoders since it they worked since a long time on DVD support and DVB is pretty new to these guys.

PS has the additional advantage that you can burn these streams directly on DVDs and then watch the movies in your DVD player (assumed that the stream is remuxed in a standard-conformant manner -- hardware decoder buffers are limited and thus hardware DVD players are more picky about standard conformance than software decoders. The same applies to TS decoded by hardware decoders).

Holger