[vdr] osdpip plugin - can't find libavcodec

I'm trying to get the osdpip codec working on a Linux 2.6.3 kernel, with VDR
1.3.5.

I think I have ffmeg installed: I downloaded the latest cvs source, did
   # cd /usr/src/ffmpeg
   # ./configure --prefix=/usr
   # make
   # make install

I get no errors from ffmpeg. I then did:
   # cd /usr/src/vdr
   # make plugins

This also gives me no errors and I end up with a file
"libvdr-osdpip.so.1.3.5" in my /usr/src/vdr/PLUGINS/lib directory.

But when I start vdr:
# vdr -Pdvd -Posdpip
vdr: ./PLUGINS/lib/libvdr-osdpip.so.1.3.5: undefined symbol: inflateReset

I'm sure it is something silly? But where do I look next?

Adrian