[vdr] Re: Hardware planning : VDR + EPIA-M + budget DVB

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Luca Olivetti wrote:

>Nicolas Huillard wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am currently choosing hardware for my future VDR box.
>>
>> I want to :
>> * watch free DVB channels
>> * record them and view later, maybe timeshifting
>> * play DVD with AC3/SPDIF output
>> * play DivX files
>> * play MP3, Ogg Vorbis audio on SPDIF
>> * burn recorded DVB shows as DivX on DVD-R
>> * view photos
>> * surf on the web (house's intranet, a few selected sites)
>>
>> I already have :
>> * an EPIA-M 10000
>
>Since I currently don't have an epia board, wouldn't all of the above
>(and more) possible with a dreambox (except for the dvd burning, but
>that can be done on another machine)?

I've used a DM7000 for a while, and it wasn't too nice. Buggy, ugly UI,
easy to crash and just a bit unreliable. VDR is far, far more stable IMHO.
But it is a nice hacking target and there's plenty of instructions on the
web for that.

--
         In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
                                        -- Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies