[vdr] Re: Hardware planning : VDR + EPIA-M + budget DVB

Jan Ekholm wrote:

Since I currently don't have an epia board, wouldn't all of the above
(and more) possible with a dreambox (except for the dvd burning, but
that can be done on another machine)?

I've used a DM7000 for a while, and it wasn't too nice. Buggy, ugly UI,
easy to crash and just a bit unreliable. VDR is far, far more stable IMHO.
But it is a nice hacking target and there's plenty of instructions on the
web for that.
If the unreliability depends on hardware, there's not much I can do (but I read that the new version of the dreambox has a better power supply), but if it depends on software maybe it's possible to use vdr[*] instead of enigma, after all it's just a linux pc (even if it's a different architecture).

[*]searching this list archive I saw somebody mentioning the possibiliy, with no follow-up though.

Bye
--
- Yo también quiero una Europa libre de Patentes de Software -
- I want a Software Patents Free Europe too! And you? -