[vdr] Re: AW: OSD redesign in VDR 1.3.x

Gerhard Steiner wrote:

> Hello Klaus,
>
> while redesigning the osd handling in 1.3.x, are you thinking about
> "overwritting" and "extending" existing menus by a plugin?
> Some of the really usefull patches extend the functionality of an existing
> menu in vdr.
>
> For example, think about the repeating_epg-patch:
> Within the epg-views press "0" and vdr searches the epg-data for the
> selected item and shows all found items. This is also possible from within the timer
> menu and really usefull.
>
> Will this kind of patches be also obsolete in the near future by e.g.
> expanding the plugin-interface?

The extended plugin interface will allow a plugin to define the way
the menus will be drawn (aka "skins"). Basic functionality will be done
in VDR itself. Features like the one you described will eventually go
into the core VDR at some time. A "skin" shall _not_ introduce any different
functionality, it shall _only_ modify the appearance of the menus (it may,
of course, decide to display additional information or introduce its own
symbols or whatever, but what you described is too fundamental for a plugin
and is something I do want to have in vanilla VDR, too).

Klaus