[vdr] Re: Deinterlacing

On Friday 18 June 2004 20:23, Flemming Frandsen wrote:
> Emil Naepflein wrote:
> >>BTW - how much impact has the video-cable? Which ones can be recommended?
> >
> > I use special cables from http://www.bettercables.com . I have a run of
> > 6 m from vdr server to A/V receiver and 12 m from A/V receiver to
> > lumagen scaler. And from lumagen scaler a 1.5 m RGB cable from
> > bettercables. At least in my setup I see the difference.
>
> Their website seems like 100% flim flam (like all other "highend" hifi
> cable folks) and they are weak on technical details (calling toslink
> spdif).
>
> You seem to have been lucky getting an ok product, but I'm sure it's
> possible to get the same quality at any electronic parts store.
>
> Personally I'd go to my local electronic component store and get a spool
> of high-spec RG6 or RG59 and a bag of connectors.

One would like to see a transmission profile - how much distortion of phase
and amplitude of the frequency range used for S-Video or Composite.
It's not just a low resistance that makes a good cable - let it even be one of
this cables with individual isolated wires to make use of the skin-effect...

For oscilloscope probes a small tuneable capacitor at the tip is used (and
required) to optimize transmission so that one really sees what signal is
there (needs to be changed over frequency) - i'am sure one could do similar
with a (S)-Video-cable.

The main effect is, that the slopes of the signal are distorted - whether the
slope is to "slow" (bad contrast) or the slope is over-swinging, then one
gets probably shadows at boundaries from dark to bright.

Of course the capacity of the connectors and wires at the devices connected
have an effect too.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index