[vdr] Re: choosing a FF card

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 15:59, Ian Molton wrote:
> Gavin Hamill wrote:
> > If you have a suitable VGA card that can actually output 15kHz
> > interlaced, it is quite easy to build a very simple circuit so you can
> > connect VGA -> RGB SCART input. No convertors, no scanning, no nonsense -
> > your VGA card will be driving the guns in your TV set directly.
>
> will that take into account frame parity?

I have no idea what you mean by that. Is that the same as field ordering, and
not getting fields out of sync. I guess it'd be a matter of the rates at
which you're driving the gfx controller...

You'd need to be pretty spot-on to avoid any loss of sync =)

> My TV gives a very nice picture really, despite its crummy input. I cant
> really justify ditching a perfectly working, modern 28" set.

Wow I thought any big telly in the last 5 years would have at least S-Video on
SCART..

> besides, I really REALLY *dont* like widescreen sets, which are about
> the only well made sets you can buy these days (without paying
> megabucks). Why did people fall for widescreen? less height for the same
> used width of tv-shelf, and it doesnt fit either old TV or movie video
> formats at all...

People fell for it because the movie industry pushed it to death...

And hurrah they're soon going to make us re-buy all our movie collection in
Blu-ray/HD-DVD....

> > I *love* the 'simple advice' at the end of that URL "Apparently, some
> > hardware doesn't support interlaced mode. If you have sync problems,
> > check the sync signal with an oscilloscope. " Hang on I'll just fish my
> > scope out.... haha :)
>
> Hehe. My scope ought to cope... :-)

Feh, geek :)

gdh