[vdr] Re: what's the newest vdr-1.3.x working with bitstreamout-0.61x ?

christian jacobsen wrote:
Hallo,

I have a budget card and working ALSA SPDIF (CMI 8738) and was hoping that bitstreamout would give me AC3 playback in my external decoder. I'm using softdevice/DirectFB for now, which doesn't do passthrough yet. I think if I could only use df_xine with vdr-xine I would have SPDIF passthrough, but unfortunately I get inverted colours on my TV-out with df_xine, so that one isn't an option for me yet either, so I thought and hoped bitsreamout would be.

I tried to compile bitsreamout-0.61f with vdr-1.3.20 and am getting an error which suggests that they are totally incompatible, I looked in the source of cDevice and things have really changed:

g++ -march=athlon-tbird -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -DPIC -c -DPLUGIN_NAME_I18N='"bitstreamout"' -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/include/ -I/usr/include bitstreamout.c
bitstreamout.c: In member function `virtual void cDisplayMainMenu::Store()':
bitstreamout.c:446: error: `SetAudioTrack' undeclared (first use this function)

Are there other alternatives with this setup? Is bitstreamout unmaintained at the moment?

It should work with 1.3.17. With 1.3.18 the new AC3 Firmware was used.

Maybe I didn't understand this, but does a budget card (Nova-S) has anything to do with firmware loading by bitstreamout? I don't have a physical SPDIF output on the card. Anyway, the compilation error above is because of changed cDevice in newer VDR versions, so there is no firmware involved at this point, I don't know if I need any firmware.

Please, someone enlighten me, I want to understand once and for all if bitstreamout is interesting for my configuration or not.
I thought bitstreamout could also just "read" and route the audio stream to ALSA, not only instruct a FF card by some firmware to output the stream in a way that is suitable for looping from the FF card's SPDIF output through the SPDIF input of the ALSA-supported soundcard and then to the SPDIF output of the soundcard, just to avoid having 2 SPDIF connections to an external decoder and thus having the problem of switching those inputs with the decoder's remote. Is my assumtion correct? Is the other, "software" routing also supposed to work?

Greetz,
Lucian

Home | Main Index | Thread Index