There are (at least) four different types of Hauppauge PVR cards and if you want use one of these cards you should read this informations here carefully.
Hauppauge PVR (without number) (NOT SUPPORTED!)
This is the oldest PVR card.
- has an kfir hardware MPEG2 encoder
- no linux support for the kfir MPEG2 encoder - do not buy.
- You may use it with the bttv driver, but this driver does not support hardware encoders and this card has problems with sound when used with bttv. NOT RECOMMENDED.
Hauppauge PVR 150/500
This card has an hardware encoder (but no hardware decoder and no tv out) and is supported by ivtv. As this card does not have the hardware MPEG decoder and no TV out you can use this card like a Budget DVB card only as DVB input device, for TV out and OSD you need an additional output device. But please note: these cards needs the *newest ivtv drivers* you can get
The PVR 500 is the combination of two 150er on one printed circuit board.
Hauppauge PVR 250
This card has an hardware encoder (but no hardware decoder and no tv out) and is well supported by ivtv and pvrinput plugin. The encoder saves CPU load and works very well. As this card does not have the hardware MPEG decoder and no TV out you can use this card like a Budget DVB card only as DVB input device, for TV out and OSD you need an additional output device. An general HowTo describing the setup of that cards has Wirbel described in that Posting im VDR-Portal (german only): 
Hauppauge PVR 350
Additionally to the features of the PVR 250 this card has an FM Radio tuner (supported by pvrinput plugin and ivtv) and an hardware decoder (supported by ivtv), which can be used with the PVR350 Plugin as VDR output device. Therefore you can build with that card a standalone analogue VDR or use this with budget cards i.e. for DVB-T. The setup of an PVR 350 is nearly the same as for the PVR250, except the additional needed PVR350 Plugin. Some older versions of the PVR 250 have the same hardware decoder (cx23415) as the PVR 350, but not the tv out and not the radio tuner.
Hauppauge PVR USB
Supported, driver at sourceforge. Handling nearly like PVR250. More info at the PVRUSB project
Hauppauge PVR USB2
PVR USB2 has like PVR350 a hardware encoder and a radio tuner. But this card has no tv out. Supported by linux driver. drivers:
- Mike Isely's driver
- GNU/Linux driver for the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2
- V4L2 driver for the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2
Hauppauge HVR 1300
- combined DVB-T and analog card w. MPEG encoder (sharing one TV tuner)
- 1 x S-Video in, 1 x Composite Video in
- no tv out, no mpeg decoder.
- 'blackbird' design: other design than PVR 150/250/350/500
- Not supported by pvrinput plugin up to now. But most probably in near future. (29/01/2008)
- Needs absolely latest developer drivers
- driver cx88*, cx88_dvb for DVB-T, cx88_blackbird for MPEG Encoder
- some comments:
- needs drivers to be loaded in special order
- cx88 devices can be opened only once -> DVB-T or analog
- driver sometime silently fails to load tuner (doesnt tune without failure messages)
- no vbi and no radio support with pvrinput possible
- blackbird driver still under development
Hauppauge Model Synopsis and internal names
Note: The cards listed here are known to work with the pvrinput plugin. Cards without MPEG encoder onboard are not working well up to now.
Model 23xxx: Amity2DT PVR500-MCE (WinTV-PVR-500) Model 24xxx: WinTV-PVR-USB2 (see also 29xxx) Model 25xxx: Baldwin2 (low profile) PVR150LP-MCE Model 26xxx: Amity2 PVR150-MCE 260xx: WinTV PVR-150 Retail (no radio, with IR, no Audio RCA) 265xx: WinTV PCR-150 MCE (and OEM) (with radio, no IR, with Audio RCA) Model 28xxx: Roslyn, OEM only ! (follows Conexant Blackbird reference Design) This card has sometimes been incorrectly called the "PVR-250MCE". It has no official name other than its codename: "Rosyln In US it was also sold as PVR-160 (by Fry electronics and others...) Model 29xxx: Dering Harbor WinTV PVR USB2 /Retail (see also 24xxx) Model 30xxx: Baldwin1 or "Baldwin Harbor" (PVR 250 MCE LP) Model 32xxx: Amity1 or "Amity Harbor" WinTV PVR 250 /Retail (32059 MultiPAL, 32065 PAL B/G) 320xx: WinTV PVR 250 (no Radio, with IR, no RCA Audio) 325xx: WinTV PVR 250 MCE (or OEM or Freestyle) (with Radio, no IR, with Audio RCA) Model 43xxx: Uranus WinTV PVR USB Model 48xxx: Sag Harbor Model 480xx: PVR 250 ?? (without saa7127, no tv out) Model 481xx: PVR 350 ?? (with saa7127, with tv out) Model 484xx: OEM Freestyle aka PVR 250 MCE( white and red audio r+l rca jacks) Model 96xxx: HVR 1300 (DVB-T and analog card w. MPEG encoder)
Note: MCE boards have no IR, but use the bracket space for RCA Audio (R+L) Note2: The term "Freestyle" is often used for OEM non-Retail versions of the cards. These are MCE cards technically. Note3: Sometimes OEM cards have fm radio (where the retail cards lacks this)
These are the plugin for using these cards, you have to choose one: