Re: Format of /dev/video or where to get MPEG TS stream?

Terry Hardie wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Ralph Metzler wrote:
> > The data on /dev/video is the so called AV_PES format.
> > It consists of packets which contain audio PES packets and video ES
> > packets + PTS info.
> I've looked through the data coming in on /dev/video. There is exactly one
> occurance within the first few bytes of the file of 0x000001 (Which
> ISO/IEC 13818-1 says is how all PES packets should start). Since there are
> no more during the file, I can only conclude that I am not looking at a
> PES stream. Any other clues what it might be?

The AV_PES format wraps audio-PacketizedElementaryStream-packets and video-ElemantaryStreams
(without the PES header, but with an extra PTS stored in the AV_PES header). You have the 2
characters 'A' and 'V', followed by 4 bytes header info and 2 bytes packet length. For audio
packets, data of the PES packet follows, for video packets, data of the ES follows. Look into the
source i just sent, it explains the format.

Anyhow, you should have a lot of 000001 occurences, since the elementary streams use these start
codes, too.

--
http://www.scarabaeus.org/  mailto:scarabaeus@scarabaeus.org
check out   http://betalounge.com/    http://www.linuxtv.org