Re: AW: glitches, another story *g* - more bad news ;-(

Andreas Peter writes:
 > I've also problems with recording glitches.
 > I'm using driver ver. 0.71 and Klaus' VDR. Watching TV works fine, but
 > playback recording produces glitches every second.

What kind of "glitches" are those. Actual MPEG errors (block shaped
colored errors in the picture, squeeky sound) or syncing problems
(jerking motion in the picture, temporary sound loss)?

 > I tried to record with VDR and cat /dev/video > 001.pva. The playback
 > results are the same: glitches every second.
 > I think VDR does not produce the glitches, so I tried older versions of
 > the driver.
 >
 > A file recoded with ver. 0.71 (cat /dev/video0 > 001.pva) produces
 > glitches if it is played with ver. 0.71 BUT it can be played error free
 > with ver. 0.04!

The only major thing I did there was increasing the OSD memory,
decreasing MPEG buffer size in SDRAM and adding MPEG buffer in DRAM.
I still have more SDRAM buffer than the recommended minimum but since
the firmware (the one in chip ROM, not the one loaded into RAM)
has to do lots of copying between those buffers it might not be able
to react that well to badly muxed MPEG streams.

Before I reduce OSD size again (distant screams from Klaus ... :-) I
first want to try a more intelligent buffer handling in the driver
that feeds the audio and video packets to the card separately and
should reduce buffer underruns.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index