[linux-dvb] Re: VDR deletes recording ?!?

Am Tuesday 21 November 2000 12:08 schriebst Du:
>Thomas Jagoditsch wrote:
>> hi all.
>>
>> my vdr (68) writes "deleting recording ..." to the syslog, but only
>> renames the dir from "*.rec" to "*.del".
>> anybody got a hint ?
>
>This is done to keep the response to the menu command instantaneous
>(and also to give you a chance of restoring a recording that was
>deleted inadvertently - which has already happened to me once ;-)

Sure, but i suggest an intermediate solution:
guess the required space a minute before the next recording starts,
and delete just enough files _before_ the timer runs.
(if you don't want to delete recordings at all, just buy one of those
80GB Maxtors for 650,- ;-))

Talking about disk-space:
Vdr should display the guessed (free+deleted) diskspace in HH:MM everytime
i install a timer, and maybe somehow in the timers-menu too.
(e.g. timers which will probably have no space could be printed in read, that
way i have a chance to delete some recording before it's to late)

>Version 0.68 of VDR scans the channels to collect EPG data.
>Apparently the driver/firmware still has a problem when the channels
>are switched frequently. To avoid the crashes you can comment out
>lines 309 and 310 in 'vdr.c' (which disables the EPG scanning).

Have such problems since recently too (using vdr0.67/dvb0.71), nothing
else changed, think wether the cards get old or the transmitted data signal
quality has changed, or it's just winter coming ?-)

Not really - i suspect, since the OSD has got that fast, people do just switch
more often and faster, revealing a hidden timing problem in the driver.

Guido

Home | Main Index | Thread Index