[linux-dvb] Maximum number of PES filters - 8?

Dave Chapman writes:
 > I'm working on a program that decodes the teletext PES streams.  This is
 > working quite well now, and I can set multiple PES filters to simultaneously
 > decode all teletext streams on the same transponder.
 >
 > However, there seems to be a problem setting more than 8 PES filters at the
 > same time. If, for example I try and set 9 filters, DMX_SET_PES_FILTER
 > returns SUCCESS all 9 times, but I am only receiving TS packets for the first
 > 8 PIDs.
 >
 > I am creating 9 filehandles by opening /dev/ost/demux 9 times - is this the
 > correct way of doing it?
 >
 > I understood that you could set up to 32 filters on a Siemens card.  Am I
 > mistaken?  Is a buffer overflow happening somewhere?
 >
 > There are very few transponders with more than 8 channels with teletext, but
 > they do exist (e.g. 11837h on Astra 19E), so this will cause complications
 > with my application.

The number of PES filters is currently restricted to 8 inside the ARM
code due to buffer memory and bandwidth considerations.
I do not want to increase that before I am certain what causes the
other problems.
We see what happens otherwise, e.g.:
People want OSD during playback, I warn them that it might cause
problems, they forget about that and then complain about the problems ...

But it is a bug that you can set the 9th filter and do not get an
error message. I will look into that.

Ralph

---