[linux-dvb] Re: NAPI - How?

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> So does this mean that I can use the old and new API in parallel?
> I thought I had read that one could only use either the old or the new API?!

Yes. Old and new API work in parallel at the moment, but support
for the old (V4L-like) API will probably be removed in the future.

Mixing old and new API calls for the same set of functions (e.g.
tuning) makes no sense, though. Don't do it.

Note that frame grabbing/overlay (and at the moment OSD)
is still controlled via the V4L device /dev/video, because
the new API does not address those functions.
(/dev/ost/video is *not* the NAPI equivalent of /dev/video !)

Documentation for the new API is here:
http://www.linuxtv.org/developer/dvb_api.xml

(and also, in some crude form in the doc/API/ directory
of the driver distribution (the .xml files are really HTML))

Some examples for using the API are in the
ost/src/ directory, look at the test* files.

Johannes

---