[linux-dvb] Re: DVD drive recommendations?

> I am thinking about buying a DVD drive for my VDR computer. It
should have the following characteristics:

> - have an IDE interface

Pioneer (A/1)0<X>

> - work with Linux (well, of course)

Don't any drive that does NOT work.

> - be code free (or at least can be made to play codes 1+2)

Then you have to buy a used one. Since every drive sold after 01.01.2000
HAS to be RPC Phase 2. Which means "locked" to certain RC.

I would buy more than one drive. (Currently i have 3 DVD-drives. One of
the advantages of SCSI)

> - be available with a black front panel (not absolutely necessary,
>   but would be nice)

Can't say anything about that.

> Can anybody recommend a certain brand/model?

I can say that you don't need a DVD-Drive for the VDR-Computer itself, if
you have a NIC in the Computer. I use (one of the 3) the DVD-Drives in my
"Workstation"

Bis denn

---