[linux-dvb] Cheap DVB/ATSC Archival -- DVTools Version 1.0 Released

Hi All--

Since it seems that y'all are always looking for cheap video archival, I
thought I would announce that Andy Kromkamp has released version 1.0 of
DVTools for Windows.  Basically, this wraps a file (much like Wrapster) into
a suitable format to be stored on a DV camcorder.

The reason why this is so interesting is that archival costs are
astoundingly low, about a factor of 10 less than current hard-drive
solutions.  On a $3-$4 LP tape, I have been told that you can fit about *20
GB* of data, enough for a full-length HD 1080i movie and I'm guessing many
hours of DVB material.  Further, these camcorders are reasonably priced,
some under $500.

Right now, the three tools are command-line Windows, so I bet that they
would work fine in a suitable emulator.  Andy has released v 1.0 as
freeware, and has expressed his hope of cleaning up the code and making it
open source.  I don't know what the other caveats and details are for Linux
(especially moving the .avi file to and from the camcorder), but I'm sure
that Andy would want to hear user reports and has said he would recompile
under Linux, if there is sufficient interest.

The tools can be downloaded from:
http://members.home.net/andy.kromkanp/DVtools.zip

The related AVS Forum discussion thread is:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/010654.html

Regards--

Dan