[linux-dvb] Re: VDR suggestion - record to TS?

Dave Chapman wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 May 2001  3:12 pm, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > I don't think switching to TS format for recordings is such a good idea.
> > After all, VDR must determine the frame borders in order to allow
> > fast forward/back etc. So it has to unpack the TS, anyway.
> >
> > I have done a lot of fine tuning over the weekend and now it looks like
> > the recorded files are quite good. I'll announce that in a separate
> > message.
> >
> > Klaus
>
> Congratulations on that, and thanks for your hard work.
>
> You mentioned in a previous message that you were planning on storing the AC3
> pid in the channels.conf.  What plans (re: recording and playback) do you
> have for this stream?  Is it possible to record both the MPEG and AC3
> soundtracks in the same PES file?

Since a multiplexed PES file can have several audio channels (0xC0, 0xC1, ... 0xDF),
my idea would be to record the AC3 data (and any other audio stream, for that matter)
with its own stream id. So for instance the "normal" audio could be 0xC0 (as is the
case now), and AC3 could be stored as 0xC1 etc.

When replaying such a file, VDR could filter out the AC3 data and send it to
whatever software is necessary to output the AC3 data (maybe by opening a pipe
and sending the data to some external program).

What I don't know yet is whether this is at all a feasible idea (maybe the driver
developers can comment on this?), and how to get the AC3 data in the first place.
When recording, VDR now sets the video and audio PIDs and reads the Transport
Stream. Can I also set the AC3-PID and have the data arrive in the TS as well?
What about more than one "normal" audio PID?

Klaus