[linux-dvb] Re: VDR suggestion - record to TS?

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 04:58:59PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> Since a multiplexed PES file can have several audio channels (0xC0, 0xC1, ... 0xDF),
> my idea would be to record the AC3 data (and any other audio stream, for that matter)
> with its own stream id. So for instance the "normal" audio could be 0xC0 (as is the
> case now), and AC3 could be stored as 0xC1 etc.
>
> When replaying such a file, VDR could filter out the AC3 data and send it to
> whatever software is necessary to output the AC3 data (maybe by opening a pipe
> and sending the data to some external program).
>
> What I don't know yet is whether this is at all a feasible idea (maybe the driver
> developers can comment on this?), and how to get the AC3 data in the first place.
> When recording, VDR now sets the video and audio PIDs and reads the Transport
> Stream. Can I also set the AC3-PID and have the data arrive in the TS as well?
> What about more than one "normal" audio PID?

Is it possible to get this AC3 audio channel on replay back to jumper J2
of the DVB card onto pin 4 aka S/PDIF connector?  Then one could connect
this to an A/V receiver or amplifier which do the decoding of such an audio
channel automatically.  With this method I'm able to hear my DTS CDs with a
normal CD player conneted with a TOS link to my A/V amplifier.

         Werner