[linux-dvb] Re: Audio loss with latest CVS driver

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger writes:
>  > If I do the following ioctl() calls while replaying a "multiplexed PES"
>  > recording (done with VDR 0.80pre5) through the /dev/ost/video device
>  > the audio gets mute:
>  >
>  >   ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_FREEZE);
>  >   ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_SLOWMOTION, 2);
>  >   ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_PLAY);
>  >
>  > and not even a subsequent
>  >
>  >   ioctl(audioDev, AUDIO_SET_MUTE, false);
>  >
>  > can change that. In the typical VDR application these ioctl() calls don't
>  > occur immediately after each other. This is just the smallest example that
>  > demonstrates this behaviour.
>  >
>  > Could this be a driver problem, or am I doing something wrong here?
>
> As explained in the API docs a VIDEO_CONTINUE is used after a
> VIDEO_FREEZE to continue playback.

Just tried

  ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_FREEZE);
  ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_SLOWMOTION, 2);
  ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_CONTINUE);

but the problem was just the same. Even if I do

  ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_FREEZE);
  ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_CONTINUE);
  ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_SLOWMOTION, 2);

the audio gets mute.

> If you do this everything works fine but I'll see what I have to
> change to make the sequence you describe work.

Thanks, that would be nice. What I need in VDR is the possibility to switch
randomly between the states Play, Pause and Slow motion. Maybe I'm not yet
doing this the way it was intended to be. However, the function description
for VIDEO_FREEZE says

  This ioctl call suspends the live video stream being played.
  Decoding and playing are frozen. It is then possible to restart
  the decoding and playing process of the video stream using
  VIDEO_CONTINUE command. If VIDEO_SOURCE_MEMORY is selected in the
  ioctl call VIDEO_SELECT_SOURCE, the DVB-subsystem will not decode
  any more data until the ioctl call VIDEO_FREEZE or VIDEO_PLAY is performed.

So I thought this should be ok (I assume that the "until the ioctl call VIDEO_FREEZE"
is just a typo and should read "until the ioctl call VIDEO_CONTINUE").

Klaus