[linux-dvb] Re: VDR suggestion - record to TS?

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 03:13:59PM +0200, Ralph Metzler wrote:
> =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg-Oliver_Todamm?= writes:
>  > There are some very simple and cheap soundcards available that (seem to)
>  > simply pass the bitstream to the connector. Is there anything that has
>  > to be processed to get a "raw output"? Maybe the current firmware grabs
>  > the bits from the hardware decoding and pushes it to the SPDIF. If it is
>  > only possible for the ARM to pull and push the data from there, this
>  > would be a limitation. But isn't it possible to communicate with the ARM
>  > direct (via a new device /dev/dvbac3) and it pushes the bitstream to the
>  > output?
>
> No, as I have explained several times before, the hardware (AV7110)
> only accepts PCM data and adds the SPDIF headers by itself.
> Since we had the same kind of questions you have we asked TI and
> they confirmed to us that AC3 output is not possible unless you
> add hardware which changes the headers.

Hmm ... is there a way to get the AC3 stream handled as PCM out
of the pin 4 of the connector J2.  Please note that the contens
of such a faked audio stream shouldn't hurt the AV7110 chip.
Clearly no one should connect the corresponding analog audio
stream to an amplifier but the digital stream provided to an
real AC3 decoder such as integrated to an A/V amplifier would
help a lot.

Therefore: is it possible to handle a real AC3 stream as a
faked PCM stream?

          Werner