[linux-dvb] Re: (No subject) ˙SO-8859-1?Q?Can´t_locate_module_char-major-250?

ext Ewald Maier wrote:

> Hi all
> after trying now for one week to run vdr, I think I am near the end
> (both sense)
>
> modprobe: Can´t locate module char-major-250
> vdr (523) Error: no video device found, giving up; ....
>
> what is wrong, what is char-major-250, where to find (make) it, where
> to look for the error???

I guess you have the /dev/ost/* files and you have started an
application that opens one of the devices marked at character major
device 250. The kernel does not have the drivers loaded (i.e. the
modules), so it will ask kernel module loader to load the driver using
the name char-major-250. The module loader reads /etc/modules.conf, but
does not find any alias nor char-major-250.o file, so it will give up.

What you need to do, is cd DVB/driver and run the make insmod. This will
load the drivers into kernel. After this the application will work.

Another way is to run make install, which copies the modules under
/lib/modules/<version>/misc. You also need to run depmod before the
modprobe has the database such that it knows to load all needed modules.

If you then add into /etc/modules.conf something like

alias char-major-250 dvb
options dvb init_chan=2 pids_off=0 readfirm=1
options saa7146_core mode=0

it might know how to load the drivers when the application needs them.

I have not tried this. You may need to read man modules.conf and use the
above/below definitions also to get all needed drivers loaded (most
notably some I2C drivers). If you get it working, post it on the list
for others to share.