[linux-dvb] Usages of /dev/video and /dev/ost/video

I am confused.

DVB/driver/videodev.h defines :
#define VIDEO_MAJOR	81

Also, MAKEDEV creates /dev/video* with MAJOR 81.

DVB/ost/src/video.c defines :
#define OST_VIDEO_MAJOR 250

With some recent tests, I removed /dev/video* from my system and
consequently I was unable to run dvbd. I received the same error as the
first time (ever) when I installed the linux DVB support. At the time I
reverted back to DVB-0.7.1 and that one worked somehow.

After some digging, I determined that dvbd opens /dev/video. Logs
returned "No such file".
I edited the source to use /dev/ost/video and recompiled. (Note :
ntuxplayer also uses /dev/ost/video).
With this in mind, I started dvbd. It returned ioctl VSFRONTEND :
unknown error 515 in the logs.

I created the devices /dev/video* with MAKEDEV and used the original
dvbd.
It worked again.
I remember I spent about a week trying to make it work, to no avail,
when I first tried the drivers 0.8.2.

As I looked through the sources, my confusion increased :

ntuxplayer uses /dev/ost/video
gVideo, tuxview, dvbd uses /dev/video

Then, looking at your patch the confusion increased even more :
DVB-0.8.2-1.patch line 4490 :
+		printk (KERN_ERR "dvb_device: unable to get major %d for
/dev/ost/video\n", OST_VIDEO_MAJOR);

Usage of /dev/ost/* :

ntuxplayer : /dev/ost/video, /dev/ost/audio
/libdvb/dvb.cc : /dev/ost/demux
test programs in ost/src

API documentation refers to /dev/ost/*.
tuxview.cc uses interface2 which make use of /dev/video, not
/dev/ost/video.

Can you please help me make some sens out of all this ?

Thank you.

--
ing. Andrei Boros
mailto:andrei@srr.ro / +40-1-303-1865