[linux-dvb] dvb-0.8.2 update (was: Usages of /dev/video and/dev/ost/video)

Hi!

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Andrei Boros wrote:
> Then, looking at your patch the confusion increased even more :
> DVB-0.8.2-1.patch line 4490 :

To make everyone able to participate if he/she is interested:

I made an extensive patch for siemens_dvb-0.8.2.tar.gz which improves a
couple of properties of the original driver. It can be downloaded at

    http://home.t-online.de/home/rolf.siebrecht/dvb-patch.html

Current drawback: The patched driver cannot deal with the DVB-C type of
cards anymore. It's only suited for Rev. 1.3 of DVB-S cards.

List of changes:

* Compilation under kernel-2.4.x possible.

* Typical warnings removed if compiled under a 2.2.x kernel with x >= 18.

possible and recommended.

* Original modules video.o, audio.o, frontend.o, sec.o, dmx.o, ca.o not
needed anymore; their functions moved to *one* new module dvb_device.o .

* Kernel's videodev.o + i2c-core.o are used.

* Message outputs provided with appropriate KERN_<XYZ> directors to avoid
them appearing at unusual places.

* Location of ARM firmware binary files is selectable; default is
/usr/local/share/DVB .

* I2C chip/driver detection in dvb.o improved. Missing/undetectable I2C
drivers/chips are reported. A DVB card with some undetectable I2C chips is
itself declared as undetected now.

* Original I2C modules tuner.o, VES1820.o & VES1893.o substituted by
new modules sp5659.o, ves1820.o & ves1893.o; their outside world interface
(module options, syslog messages) is using only 7-bit right-aligned I2C
addresses to be consistent with the kernel I2C layer.

* Own I2C driver module for EEPROM chip created to avoid a direct EEPROM
access internal to the dvb.o module.

* Some cases of doubt in Video4Linux interface removed.

* Better utilization of image window areas in V4L grabbing and overlay mode
(reduced black borders).

* Settings for brightness, contrast, saturation done in overlay mode taken
over to grabbing mode.

* Some more SAA7146 chip parameters displayed among syslog messages; shown
memory address is now in physical format.

* As is common style, SAA7146 chips are numbered beginning with 0 now.

* Overlay mode is automatically continued after intermediate grabbing mode
(still image request during running TV replay in xawtv).

* Module options introduced which can help if PCI DMA issues occur.

* Module options introduced which avoids possible false I2C detections.

* Module option introduced which avoids conflicts if other SAA7146 non-DVB
cards are present.

* (tuxzap package:) Locale support (NLS) now possible.

* (tuxzap package:) A bunch of German translations added.

* (tuxzap package:) Console applications only can be compiled & installed.

* (tuxzap package:) While running configure DGA extension is detected even
with older XFree86 versions.

== All core properties - MPEG treatment, firmware, net i/f,... - remain ==
== at 0.8.2 level.                                                      ==

Bye,
     Rolf