[linux-dvb] Re: System hangs when loading saa7146_core.o with secondary card

andreas@xcapenet.de(Andreas Gebel)  03.10.01 09:22

Once upon a time Andreas Gebel shaped the electrons to say...

>Hello

>My primary DVB card is a Siemens DVB-S Rev. 1.3 and it works fine with
>DVB and VDR. When I add my new secondary card (Hauppauge WinTV Nova
>Rev. 1.1) the system simply stops while loading the saa7146_core.o
>driver.

What does lsmod say?
Which I2C version do you use?

>There is no error message.

Did you look in _all_ log files under /var/log ?
(I don't now syslog.conf of suse, but debian records in
several logfiles and the is no file with all messages, not a good idea)
Do you have a vga console attached?
Can you change the consoles? (alt-Fx)
Does the network still work?
Do lirc still work?

>I tried debug=3 but nothing appears in syslog.

>With the WinTV Nova alone the driver loads without problems.

BIOS setting "PlugNPlay aware OS" ?

>I am running SuSE Linux 7.2 with Kernel 2.4.10 and
>dvb-20011002 on an Athlon 500 MHz System with 128MBs of RAM.

I too have problems with Kernels > 2.4.8 nd the second card
and have meanwhile disabled the second card.
Else the system would freeze and oops while recording
off the second card. (loading is OK)
Too i can't record the "Colourbar"-channel with the second card.
The first card works flawlessly (except some artefacts and a/v async..).
Moving the disk and cards to an other (slower) MoBo
did help a lot. So i assume that something in dvb* has a problem
with faster CPUs/faster RAMs.