[linux-dvb] Re: Video Ripping 2 DivX ;-)

Monday, October 08, 2001, 9:25:16 PM, Martin Hoffmann wrote:

MH> Any idea what to do best with DVBs video @ 480x576 ?
MH> One could create a DivX AVI with the same resolution, but afaik avi has no
MH> aspect ratio stored !? So, it would look very funny on PC :-)
MH> Or is resizing to 720x576 or 704x576 the best idea ?

Both will work.
I think, encoding as 480x576 is better since it's faster. Your
favourite DivX player should be able to correct the aspect ratio if
you tell it to do so.

If you want to resize the correct size is 768x576 since this and only
this conforms to the required aspect ratio 4:3.
This will cost you much more time and there is the risk that the
encoder is not able to exactly remove the information added by the
resize step - thus the quality can be worse.

MH> btw: I guess it's a good idea to de-interlace the video, right ?

Does DivX support interlaced video? (I'm not using DivX & co)
If not - de-interlace it to remove the high frequencies caused by the
interlacing in high motion scenes.

--
Tbs,
 Mathias Born