[linux-dvb] deep crash of the dvb-s card

Thomas Jagoditsch writes:
 > hi all.
 >
 > this weekend (saturday afternoon iirc) my vdr-box seems to hang (channel
 > switching works but no video/audio/epg) so i tried the usual things:
 > - restart vdr & drivers
 > - reseted cam (useless because fta doesnt work too)
 > - reboot & reset machine
 >
 > nothing helped so i connected a keyboard and searched the logs. business
 > as usual (driver logs etc) but every time i switched channels "channel
 > not synced appears".
 > now i was a little bit confused and feared a hardware defect of the
 > card. hoped for some bug in the cabling and searched for my old analogue
 > receiver in the basement (took some time *g*) and finally got a picture
 > - so the dish works ...
 >
 > a little bit angry and frustrated i turned off the machine to haul it
 > out of the furniture (lots of work here) - but couldnt believe the final
 > dead of my dvb-s and turned it on again to try once more - now
 > everything works as expected !!!
 >
 > seems strange to me that the cards crash could last after a reset of the
 > pc. is there an explanation for this ?

The only time I had such a problem was once when the card was
really overheated. It worked again after it cooled down for a while.
Only tuning was affected (playback worked). So, it probably is the
demodulator which stops working (hence the tuning errors).
I only had this problem once and I had 2 cards in slots next to each
other at that time.

Do you have an old card (1.3) or one with a new tuner (1.5, 1.6, 2.1)?
I think the old demodulator created more heat. They were even
connected to the tuner casing with heat conducting paste.

Ralph