[linux-dvb] Re: deep crash of the dvb-s card

On 15 Oct 2001 at 13:52, Ralph Metzler wrote:

> The only time I had such a problem was once when the card was
> really overheated. It worked again after it cooled down for a while.
> Only tuning was affected (playback worked). So, it probably is the
> demodulator which stops working (hence the tuning errors). I only had
> this problem once and I had 2 cards in slots next to each other at
> that time.

hmmm. strange.

heat should not be the issue, cause vdr worked all over the summer time
without shutdown or add. cooling efforts. i feared such problems at the
time we got the new furniture with its special vdr-place inside (to
solve another problem - with my wife).

but if it happens again i will try to do a replay, thx for that hint.

> Do you have an old card (1.3) or one with a new tuner (1.5, 1.6, 2.1)?
> I think the old demodulator created more heat. They were even
> connected to the tuner casing with heat conducting paste.

its an old one workin for over a year now without any holidays *g*

maybe the temperature indeed is critical and the dvb is gettin worn- out
(dont know, i think the chips could/will age - but how fast ?).

in the beginning i decided to risk a cpu without fan (only the
powersupply-fan is workin lowspeed) and it works so far without troubles
(exept that dead wd-450aa). i even had swapped that noisy riva tnt (had
a fan) for an old ati rage with tv-out i found.

mb temp is always around 45° and cpu temp around 65° (within the specs
for a pII350 afair). the dvb is always hot but is mounted lowest.

weŽll see how long it works...

wbr.tja...

ps: sorry ralph, this should go to the list only :-(
thomas jagoditsch
email:tja@tja.org