[linux-dvb] Complete Transport Stream

Hi,

Shane McErlean writes:
 > The output of both cards was what seemed to be a transport stream, i.e. it
 > had a sync byte (0x47) every 188 bytes with optional adaptation field and
 > payload. However upon further analysis the recordings from either card were
 > not complete transport streams, as they only contained the audio and video
 > streams for the selected service. There was no trace of any other services,
 > or program specific information like program map tables, program allocation
 > tables, NIT, STD etc...

Only those PIDs which are selected via filters are present in this stream.

 > I can only assume then that the output recorder was a remuxed transport
 > stream of some kind. Another problem encountered with the recordings was
 > that the continuity counter value included in a transport packet header was
 > corrupt in the stream recorded from the WinTV Nova card where as the
 > recording from the WinTV DVB-S card did not have such a problem.

The WinTV Nova delivers the original TS packets. If there is anything wrong
with the continuity counter (CC) it's already in the original stream
from the satellite.
The packets from the WinTV DVB-S are reconstructed TS packets. The CCs
are creates inside the driver.

Are the CCs always "wrong"? Or maybe they only jump when a new payload
starts (PUSI bit set)?
I haven't really look at this in case of PES payloads. The CCs of
section data is checked. If you get sections from the driver
the CC was correct.

 > Is it possible to get the complete transport stream from the WinTV Nova
 > card?
 > If so what do I need to modify in order to obtain such a stream?

In the latest CVS versions I introduced PID 0x2000 to represent the
complete TS. This only works with the Nova card and only if you open
a PES filter with TS_TAP as target.
I don't think any of the applications will correctly use PID 0x2000
(and they shouldn't since it is not defined in any specs).
You will have to write your own small program for this.

Ralph