[linux-dvb] Re: converting PVA

Quoting Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de>:

> Moin Andreas!
> Andreas Most schrieb am Donnerstag, den 18. Oktober 2001:
>
> > The .pva format is no longer supported in the Linux DVB driver and so all
>
> Errr, but VDR stores the files in PVA format, AFAIK.

Nope! Earlier versions did. Now, VDR stores them in a kind of PES format.
(I am not quite sure, whether VDRs format is completely compliant to the
MPEG-2 specifications)

> > the tools have been removed unfortunately. You can still find them in
>
> Okay, but why they have been explicitly removed? Or did they break
> anything?

In some older postings the developers explain why they stopped the support
for pva (Use the search function on the mailing list site of www.linuxtv.org)
The pva format is not standarized. It is only used with these cards.
And you can only store one video and one audio track at the same time.
So they chose to use the transport stream format, which complies with
MPEG-2 specifications and which is capable of carrying several streams with
different PIDs (E.g., it would be possible to record two different
TV programs as long as they reside on the same transponder)
So they finally removed all pva related stuff from the CVS tree.
Presumably, because they do not want to keep obsolete stuff.

> > A much better tool (for Windows) is PVAStrumento available at
> > http://www.offeryn.de/dv.htm for free. It also corrects errors in
> > the stream. This program runs under Linux with 'wine'.
>
> a) Performance is bad

Yes, but still faster than playing the movie would be ;-)
There are also some bugs in the software but still the tool helped me
a lot in repairing poor recordings.

> b) Does not work with Pipes or Fifos, you have to reserve disk space

Have you tried to create pipes with

mknod mypipe.mpv p
mknod mypipe.mp2 p

and then running wine with pvastrumento and setting the
output to the pipes? I have not tried this yet but I don't see a reason
why it should not work.

> for
> both files. Does not help me if the HD is full and I just want to play
> PVA from the local network.

Regards, Andreas.