[linux-dvb] Re: DVB drivers for kernel 2.2.19

Hi!

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Batalov Grigory wrote:
>  But what version of DVB driver is suitable for 2.2.19 kernel?
>  I compile from 0.8.2 to 0.9.3 versions and only 0.8.2 compiles
>  without errors.

For 0.8.2 it's clear, I think. From the 0.9 series,
siemens_dvb-0.9-20010618 is the last one which compiles under 2.2.x. For
this purpose some small patches have to be applied to the driver source.
For all later 0.9 versions it's practically impossible.

Well, if you are a programmer you may experiment with the kernel helper
modules kcompat24.h/kcompat24.c. (http://gtf.org/garzik/drivers/kcompat24)
The concept is: Write all driver sources according to 2.4 rules, and let
kcompat24 care of the needed back-adaptations if compiled/loaded under
2.2. Look for example at the bttv source (http://www.bytesex.org/bttv) to
understand the method.
I have not tested if it can be successful in case of a 0.9 DVB driver.
kcompat24 has ceased at an early 2.4 level. So, a kernel driver made
2.2-compatible this way is not allowed to use latest 2.4 kernel
developments.

Bye,
     Rolf