[linux-dvb] Re: old driver: 125 secs, new driver: 4 secs

Hanno Mueller writes:
 > > Hanno Mueller writes:
 > >  > No, but I use the Matrox framebuffer, see the output of lsmod at the
 > >  > beginning of my previous report.
 > >
 > > OK, we also had such problem with the Matrox drivers once (1 or 2
 > > years ago, we use an old Voodoo3 now). When the DVB driver registers
 > > the I2C bus of the SAA7146 the Matrox driver looks for their chips on
 > > the wrong I2C bus and hangs for a very long time when it does not find
 > > them. It is a problem in the Matrox driver.
 >
 > But the Matrox driver was already loaded _before_ the DVB driver and it
 > loaded without any delay. The "hang" period occurs after that, when
 >
 > So in this case, I guess it is the DVB driver that has the problem? Or is
 > this some interference between the two?

All I2C drivers and clients are notified if a new I2C bus is
registered. When the Matrox driver hears about this new I2C bus in the
system it probably starts to look for the parts on the Matrox card and
does not find them and hangs.
When we had the problem the hang was inside the Matrox
driver right after the SAA7146 driver (part fo the DVB driver)
registered the bus. It even happened when we registered other
I2C busses of analog TV cards or for the motherboard temperature sensors.

You could also just test if it already hangs if you only insmod the
SAA7146 driver and no other tuner, demodulator, etc. driver of the
DVB package and maybe even trace if it happens during the registration
call of the I2C bus driver.

Ralph