[linux-dvb] Re: Check this out Australia

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 14:41, Dylan D wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 14:05, Douglas Kosovic wrote:
>
> I wasn't aware of there being any pay services on digital tv as of such
> in Australia Yet? though i could be wrong from what i have been reading
> Australia has set law that prohibits any pay services from using dvb-t
> till 2010 so free to air have some time to improve there digital before
> everyone just buys pay-tv.
>
> Also Yeah SBS is the only uhf channel in Australia all others are VHF
> thats why nova-t isnt suitable for Australia unless u only wanna watch
> SBS.

This is not quite true.  Remember that a digital broadcast of a
particular channel (eg channel 9) will not be on the same channel as the
existing analogue channel.

So while your statement is is true for the capital cities it is not true
for the many parts of Australia.  For example here in Darwin, in
analogue we have 2 UHF and 2 VHF channels yet for digital all channels
assigned are UHF.

For more information see
http://www.aba.gov.au/tv/digitaltv/viewer/channels.htm

So many parts of Australia may be able to use the existing cards except
for the issue that we use a different channel separation here in
Australia.  No one knows for sure if this will be a problem or not.