[linux-dvb] Re: Hardware lockup

Peter Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing a hardware lock up problem when using the current CVS
> version of the DVB drivers with a Haupauge nova-t DVB card.
>
> I am using the following sequence:
>
> 1. Power the computer up and boot into Linux
> 2. cd DVB/driver
> 3. make insmod
> 4 run dvbtune.
>
> The computer then locks up. It appears that some kind of reset has occured,
> since the keyboard lights flash. I have no mouse or keyboard response. If I
> then reset the computer and repeat the above steps, dvbtune runs
> correctly.This is reasonably repeatable - it heppens most times I start the
> computer from cold.
>
> Config:
> Mandrake 9.0
> Kernel 2.4.19-16mdk
> DVB taken from CVS on 3/Dec/2002
>
> The dvb card is a haupauge nova-t budget card. The kernel reports it is a
> (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T PCI)
> The front end is reported as : Grundig 29504-401.
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers to help track this down? I am guessing that
> there is some card initialisation missing from the driver.

Please enably SysRequests in your kernel config, switch to a text
console, log in, enter 'dmesg -n 8', test your config by pressing
alt-sysrq-s (now you should see a 'Emergency Sync' on your console and
in your kernel log).

Now lock up your machine and press alt-sysrq-p. Write down the EIP
address and the Call Trace addresses. Then reboot your box, load all
modules as before.

Call 'cat /proc/ksyms | sort | less' and search the EIP and Call Trace
addresses between two of the listed kernel symbols. Please tell me then
in which function the kernel hangs and how he was going there.

When you have a second computer you can do this much more comfortable by
using the serial kernel console and ksymoops to resolve the adresses.

Holger