[linux-dvb] Re: linux-dvb and Mandrake 9

Alberto Vorano wrote:
> Hi all
> As Mandrake 9 has embedded linux dvb in 3rdparty/dvb_modules/
> I thought that this should work fine with this distro. By opposite I
> have discovered a number of problems : the modules are of the recent type
> and install without problems except the fact that give another name  to
> /dev/dvb/<adapter-n> that is called /dev/dvb/<card-n> and to tuner
> module that it's called <tuner_dvb>. this way all standard programs
> cannot find  what they need.

That's a pretty old version of the DVB driver. Tell the Mandrake boys
that they should use a recent driver version from CVS.

 > Does anybody here know something else
> about this? Some suggestion where to find documentation? On Mdk site
> I found no news on this. I'm planning to ask to Juan Quintela, the
> packager of 2.4.19-16mdk, if anybody else here doesn't know anything.
> Another (maybe silly) question: why, in the latest releases it's omitted
> the tuner module? (Perhaps because in the present kernels it's just
> present a tuner module?).

Right, in order to avoid conflicts. The frontend modules handle the
communication to the PLL right now.

> In fact, when modules are installed lsmod
> doesn't show any tuner, but scan finds anyway some station: how?

see above, the PLL code is in the frontend modules right now.

Holger