[linux-dvb] Re: Timing recording

On Pá, 2002-12-13 at 10:02, Matthias Behr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I'm not expert either. But what should be an alternative for VPS
> > signalling in DVB world? I guess that EPG whould be fine. But
> > it depends on how "quickly" provider update EPG event in stream.
>
> The "Running Status Table" (RST) (PID 0x0013) is meant for that purpose.
>
> Cite from EN300468:
> "The RST (see table 10) allows accurate and rapid updating of the timing
> status of one or more events. This may be necessary when an event starts
> early or late due to scheduling changes. The use of a separate table enables
> fast updating mechanism to be achieved."

Nice to see that even something was planed for such purpose.

> But sadly I haven't seen any provider supporting it.

But it is the main problem (as was not supporting VPS by broadcasters
in analog). If we can't fix our efford to something what is
transmitted, then we can't get it working :(

I suppose that something should be transmitted (in RST or somewhere
else) what allow find first frame.

What do you thing about pointing to some frame by its PCR value?
Is it usable or PCR counter is too small and then it overflows
to quickly to use the value of it?

And other solution - our national broadcaster (Czech Link) transmits
in additional private stream VPS info, may be it is a way? But
I havn't any info about internal structure of it.

/Honza