[linux-dvb] Re: Newbie questions

Bruno Prior wrote:
> Holger,
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Holger Waechtler wrote:
>

>> this is a _very_ old driver. Please get a fresh one (directly out of
>> CVS from http://linuxtv.org/cvs/) before reporting any problems.
>

> Mandrake have built a very old driver into their Mandrake 9.0 kernel
> package? How can you tell it's so old? Shall I report this to Cooker, so
> they can build a more recent set of drivers into new kernel packages?

would be nice. Right now they should use our CVS, but we have to make a
new release next time anyway.

>> if you use only tools compiled against the old API: yes. If you want
>> to use recent tools you should get + install a fresh kernel.
>

> Fresh kernel or fresh drivers? The README didn't tell me I needed a new
> kernel, just that I had to compile the drivers against the source of the
> kernel currently being used. 2.4.19 isn't so old. Do I really need a new
> kernel or just new drivers?

sorry, a typo. I mean driver.

>>> Most importantly, what is my most direct route to be able at least to
>>> view a channel on-screen?
>>

>> start xawtv, use szap/czap/tzap for tuning.
>>
>> If you don't have installed X11 but a remote login on your box you can
>> use the framebuffer video utility (DVB/apps/test/video.c) and
>> szap/czap/tzap for tuning. dvbstream and dvbtune should work as well,
>> tuxzap too.
>

> I have X on this box, so I'll try xawtv. Is there any guide anywhere to
> using the various *zap programs?

build them by typing 'make', then you get the additional install
instructions. you zap by typing:

$ ./szap <channelname>    (if you have a DVB-S card)
$ ./czap <channelname>    (for DVB-C)
$ ./tzap <channelname>    (for DVB-T)

good luck,

Holger