[linux-dvb] Re: Detecting kernel version in Makefile

Holger,
> version.h will be generated when you properly configure + build your
> kernel in /usr/src/linux/. Since we need the config, includes and
> makefiles there anyway it's a proper way to detect the version of the
> kernel which include files we're using.
>
> Please configure+install your kernel before you build the DVB driver, if
> you build the driver against the wrong include files or use config files
> that don't belong to your running kernel very strange side effects can
> occur...
Yes I know this is true. My point really was that accidentally detecting the
kernel version by expecting the first line of a particular file to contain
specific patterns is less portable than using the uname command. Who is to
say that at some time in the future, a comment is added to the top of the
version.h file?

Pete