[linux-dvb] Re: DVB driver for B2C2 based budget cards (such as Technisat SkyStar 2)

Hi Miernik and all,

At 01:30 07/02/2003 +0100, Miernik wrote:

>Wow, what a detailed analisis!

Wasn't too much :-).

>> >I have a Skymedia 200D and it has two big chips:
>>... IOW, some good pictures are need :-).
>Here are images (300 dpi scan, about 250 kB each) of two cards I have:
>
>http://www.miernik.ctnet.pl/dvb/telemann-skymedia-200d.jpeg
>http://www.miernik.ctnet.pl/dvb/broadlogic-aba2030-01.jpeg

Thanks!. Don't have the cards a "interesting backside"? :-).

>The other card is Broadlogic Satellite Express ABA2030-01
>I will post an lspci output when I will put it in my PC.

Don't worry, as lspci don't say too much when you don't have a software
for the card!. BTW, seems that this card don't have the the same main
chips that the Skymedia 200D: Perhaps one is the STi5512? or which are
its?.

>Is there any chance that you may have time to hack or help hacking to
>develop some open-source driver for this card?

Sorry, but I'm affraid that in no way I can hack or participate in the
developpement of software for this cards :-(, due the lack of time and
enought knowledge. As most, I could provide you with some datasheets,
utilities and documentation ATM, that I've colected over the years.

Anyway, about develop a open-source driver for this cards, I (and
everyone interested on this project should) have some questions:

.- Are this boards in production? (The Skymedia 200D seems as a few old;
   I don't know for the ST20TP4, but the ST20TP2 is *out of production*
   long time ago).

.- Are this boards of so high interest (cost/features), to justify the
   huge effort?. I don't have read descriptions of its features, but by
   the used parts, seems to me that the Skymedia 200D is for a "dedicated
   DVB_IP application", while the Broadlogic ABA2030-01 could could have
   more features, depending of the main chip.

The reason is that we are talking of many months of work (depending of
the available documentation and skills of the involved people)!!!.

>It would be great if you can tell anything you may think of about the
>three connectors, and a couple of places for jumpers. If the photos
>are not clear enough, please tell, and I will describe what you need.
>
>There are three DIL connectors (just like RS232 on non-ATX
>motherboards), 10 pins (Dual In Line) each. What these might be for?

I see this three 2*5 "headers", on the Skymedia 200D, but it's hard to
figure its use, with only this picture!. To have one idea (that could
result wrong), one should follow the tracks, from this pins to the chip;
if it's the ST20TP4, one could do the asumption that its pinout could be
the same to the one in the ST20TP2 and then know the function of this
headers.

OTH, for the Broadlogic ABA2030-01, I'm prety sure that the 2*10 pads,
labeled J1, are for a JTAG port; despite that six pins are enought for
one JTAG port, it's common to use this connector, on which the even pads
should be Ground. The 2*13 header, bellow the 'SINGAPORE' string, could
be a (Centronics) parallel port; finally, the 2*5 header J3, below the
'ASSEMBLED' string, could be a (TTL level) serial port.

>The card is not totaly broken, it worked for the guy I bought it from,
>I don;t know why it does not work for me. Any dusggestions to do some
>tests (these may include soldering/desoldering) to find out what is
>wrong are apreceated.

The card worked, but may things could have happened after that (static
discharge in the mounting, LNB cable shortcircuit, software issues, etc).
Does show the software any error message or sign of correctnes (ie, a
good signal level or lock, etc)?; is the LNB powered correctly?. For now,
don't have any sens to start to desolder anything :-).

>There are three small LEDs on this card. One is off, one flashes and
>the third one is on. What might these mean? If you can't localise
>these on my picture, I'll try to describe where they are.

I see its (two are on the mounting plate and other must be DS2, between
J1 & J3; I don't have any idea about its use, nor why its are used on
something that is conected to a computer!, where much more extensive
diagnostics can be done :-).

>I suspect that the voltage might be not enough for my LNB for example.
>
>What should be the voltage leves at the antenna cable connector?

With the LNB connected, it should be about 13V, for Vertical Polarization
channels or about 18V, for Horizontal Polarization ones.

>Right now (without any drivers loaded), there is 1.3 V

Without the drivers loaded and the tuner activated, it's possible to have
this low voltage (I suposse that you don't have the LNB connected) or
zero volts, as sometimes the LNB voltage can be totally cut, for power saving.

Best regards:
--
Roberto Deza Asensio
Universidad de Navarra