[linux-dvb] Re: Newbie questions

On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 00:31, Rus Foster wrote:
> got myself a
> Pent@Value card from my new ISP. However couple of questions I've got.
> Firstly rather than using the pentamedia drivers (which do work) is it
> possible to use the linux-tv drivers?

in short: no.

but: as far as i know, the pentamedia cards are using the AViA GTX
transport demux. the same chip is used in a set top box for which
linuxtv compatible drivers do exist. you can try to port our drivers to
your card, but i do not know what other chips you might need drivers for
(pci stuff, ...).

you can get the driver via cvs:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.berlios.de:/cvsroot/tuxbox -z3 co driver
(subdirectory "dvb")

> Also if I can use these will it be
> possible to watch TV on this card as I'm not sure if it has a hardware
> MPEG-2 decoder

is there a chip labeled AViA500 or AViA600L on it?

 Andreas