[linux-dvb] GPL violation (Was: Re: Newbie questions)

Hi,

>but: as far as i know, the pentamedia cards are using the AViA GTX
transport demux. the same chip is
>used in a set top box for which linuxtv compatible drivers do exist. you
can try to port our drivers
>to your card, but i do not know what other chips you might need drivers for
(pci stuff, ...).

While looking through the driver, i noticed that they declare their sources
as GPL. They ship their drivers mostly as binary only modules. Only headers
and files required to build the kernel dependend files are shipped as
source. I will contact them and ask them to remove either the GPL or to
release full source (which they probably cant do because of a signed NDA).
Maybe they agreee to support the dvb linux community to port a open source
driver to their cards, which will be the perfect solution to all of us.

Vendor and Subsystem ID indicate that they are using the well known BT878 as
PCI bridge. So it should be very easy to get the card running with the
existing driver stuff. Someone needs to combine the AViA and BT8xx driver.
Fairly simple.

>is there a chip labeled AViA500 or AViA600L on it?

There seems to be no HW decoder. Specs tell something about software
decoder, so there is probably no hw decoder.

Bye
  Florian