[linux-dvb] Re: Teletext and DMX_SET_PES_FILTER

DOm wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:59:16 +0100
> Ragnar Sundblad <ragge@nada.kth.se> wrote:
>

> > I must say that I am not extremely happy about this different
> > drivers and firmware situation. Now there are more differences
> > between the firmwares too, one (probably) has working OSD, the
> > other has new CAM handing. I do hope that we can get those two
> > tracks together someday and join all the good efforts instead.
> > There are probably good reasons for both tracks, but I can't
> > believe that they couldn't be combined.
>
> The metzlerbros.org drivers have also a different behaviour for v4l
> stuff: "mplayer -tv" works with these drivers on full featured card
> (1.3, 2.1) but does not work with linuxtv.org ones.

The driver itself is one part of the story, but what currently troubles
me most is the question whether there are going to be two different paths
for the firmware, too. The driver itself is available in source, so there
could always be somebody who tries to combine the two versions and put
together the best of both worlds (although personally I would, of course,
also rather prefer if there were _one_ line of work here).

But the firmware is not (publicly) available in source, so IMHO it is of
paramount importance that it doesn't drift apart in different ways.
So, please, Ralph and Marcus, let us know whether you will at least
keep the firmware on a common path. I really hope you will do so,
because otherwise I'm afraid this could become very bad for the
LinuxDVB community. For instance, I am currently trying to debug
the CAM communication, which in some cases breaks down all of a sudden.
If it turns out that this needs to be fixed in the firmware we might
end up really having one FW that has working OSD support, and another one
that has working CAM support. Clearly this is on nobodies best interest...

Klaus