[linux-dvb] Re: Newbie questions

Hi.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 04:19:32AM +0000, Bruno Prior wrote:
> I have tried the latest CVS snapshot drivers, the 1.0.0-pre1 drivers and
> the latest Metzler Bros drivers (1.1.6b). None of them offer an
> improvement. I have also checked out the latest dvbtune source from CVS.
> Whatever driver I use and whatever frequency I try to tune to, I get low
> Bit Error Rates (50 - 500) and high Signal Strength (12079) and SNR
> (50000+). But I still get "Nothing to read from fd_pat/fd_sdt" errors.

I also have a Nova-T card. I tried it with following drivers and results:

DVB and dvb-kernel (CVS head about week ago):

Loads & detects card fine. Tunes ok. But when I use dvbstream to
stream out the data it starts ok but stops quite fast. Ie. I only
get about 1-4 seconds of the stream per dvbstream invocation. And
this led to similar problems during my testings (sometimes PAT or
SDT timed out, but NIT timed out always since it isn't sent so
often).
Maybe some could enlighten me why this sudden loss of data
stream happens...

Metzler Bros (1.1.5) works okay for me.

dvbtune & dvbstream packages seem to work okay. I also patched
dvbsak to work for my setup.

> 2. I have learnt from advice related to the Terratec DAB tuner that
> linux does not play nicely with Via chipsets. Could there be a problem
> with the Nova-T and Via-based motherboards? Have other people got the
> Nova-T (or equivalent) working on Athlon/Via combinations?

Yep. I have Nova-T + Athlon + Via chipset.

- Timo Teräs