[linux-dvb] Re: OT: Streaming Media

> Subject: [linux-dvb] Re: OT: Streaming Media
>

> Hi
>
> Andy Coates wrote:
>> Has anyone ever setup a system that can stream piped data (like say
>> dvbstream -> transcode ->) to a server for distribution? I'm not
>> after multicasting (for now), just a simple solution that clients on
>> any platform can read the stream from my server.
>
> Yes, I use dvbstream and mp4live (MPEG4IP) modyfied with an extra RTP
> source module, an extra libmpeg2 decoder and an extra lame decoder to
> stream MPEG-4 and save MP4 files live encoded with XviD and one of
> MP3/AAC/Vorbis.
>
> Works fine on Athlon XP1800+.

I found on my P4 2.2Ghz (celeron) that it could only transcode from
MPEG2 (this sample was 544x576 ~2.5mbit/s) to xvidavi at 9fps - nasty
for live broadcast.

It also seems that the libmpeg2 decoder that supports the extra xvid
outputs and YUV, writes to a file.

How does one go about transcoding the entire video and audio into a
hinted mp4 file to then stream to (for example) the darwin streamign
media?  Mp4live wants a video for linux card, and I don't see anything
else for live streaming :-(

Andy.