[linux-dvb] Re: V4L issues with linux dvb driver

Hello Billy,

to make a long story short: "linuxtv-dvb-1.0.0-pre1" and the so-called DVB "head" or "newstruct" drivers are v4l1 drivers.

The CVS "dvb-kernel" driver is the new *v4l2* driver, which does not have the problems you mentioned. YUYV byteorder is completely disabled, capture performance problems should be gone, because I use Gerd Knorr's "video-buf" capture buffer abstraction. Because of that, the performance should be equal to the bttv / saa7134 driver.

  1. Please do not do format conversion in software.  I can easily
support UYVY in my application, and I need to do this for the rivatv
cards (which also currently converts in software, leading to more bug
The original problem was, that the bttv driver first only supported YUYV byteorder, so all applications assumed the byte order to be YUYV.

But the saa7146 has a native UYVY byteorder and a hardware bug, which prevents it from delivering YUYV at all.

reports about poor performance).  VIDIOCMCAPTURE  should fail on these
boards when asking for YUY2 images (VIDEO_PALETTE_YUV422).

  2. The VIDIOCSPICT ioctl currently always fails when asking for YUY2
images.  By the comment above, this should only happen with chips below
revision 3.  To support other drivers, my code must call this ioctl
before starting capture, so it would be nice to make this ioctl return
accurate information.

  3. By the code, the VIDIOCMCAPTURE ioctl will fail if you ask for
frames in UYVY format, which will make my support of it useless.  :)
Although the code is based on my original saa7146 driver, I won't change it anymore. "dvb-kernel" is the basis for the upcoming 2.6.x kernel and it can be compiled under 2.4.x as well.

If you encounter any more bug reports regarding the "linuxtv.org" DVB driver, please encourage the users to try the "dvb-kernel" driver from the project's CVS (remember: it can be compiled under 2.4.x as well) and use the benefits of v4l2.

  Thanks for your time,
  -Billy
Is your application v4l2 aware?
Or do you rely on the compatibility layer?

I'll have a look at this later today and test the "dvb-kernel" driver with "tvtime" and come back to you later.

CU
Michael.