[linux-dvb] Re: V4 API proposal

Ho Florian,

> 2. /dev/dvb/adapterX/demuxX:
>
> A) Instead of writing TS data to the dvrX device you are now
> allowed to
> write TS data to the demuxX device.
> B) Before writing TS to it you'll have to call an ioctl to
> put the demux
> device into memory mode. (DMX_SET_SOURCE)
> C) The hardware demux has to export a logical demuxX device
> for _each_ hw
> input channel it supports (e.g. if the hw supports 2 frontend
> and 1 memory
> based input it will export demux0,demux1,demux2). It is up to
> the user to
> map these logical devices to hw inputs (via DMX_SET_SOURCE)
> D) We'll provide an ioctl to query the demux in which mode it
> currently
> operates / which modes are supported (DMX_GET_SOURCE,DMX_GET_SOURCES)

The usage of DMX_GET_SOURCE & DMX_SET_SOURCE is suitable for connecting
demux to frontend. But how to connect Audio to a Filter ?
I propose to have a common mechanism for every device:
 * To set up cascading element easily.
 * To be able to stream to differnt devices in parallel.

> 4. Multiple filters per FD
>
> Multiple filters per FD will be supported through
> DXM_ADD_FILTER/DMX_DEL_FILTER ioctls. We did not decide yet wether we
>
> A) allow just a single pid per call
> B) allow multiple pids per call
> C) require multiple pids to be set in a single call

What way ever. It must be possible to add and remove filters while
recording the program without any interruption to get in sync
with updated PMTs (new services in the program).

Regards,

thomas