[linux-dvb] Re: V4 API proposal

Hi,

>I can live with both situations. A reason for having seperate device
>is that we don't find a straight interface that is suitable for
>both streamtypes. But if this is possible, and it makes sense, than
>i don't see a reason why not putting them into one.
>That the implementations are differnt is not important.
>At the end it shall demultiplex a media stream.
>Do you agree ?

Yes i do agree. BUT :-) IMHO combining the two things will bloat the API a
lot. I must admit that i dont have deeper knowledge of e.g. DVD/AVPES/..
Formats but i try to explain:

When routing/demuxing TS you do that based on:

- PID
- Section filters

When routing/demuxing PS/AVPES/... you do that based on:

- Stream type
- camera angle
- language
- subtitle
- ...

So AFAIK there is nothing in common. So we will end up in two things which
hardly share codepath (if they share at all). Where do you see the benefit
from combining the two things? If there is any reason to combine them i will
happily propose that.

Thanks,
   Florian