[linux-dvb] Hauppauge Nova-T: problems tuning

   Hi,

   I've got a Hauppauge Nova-T, and I'm having trouble getting any
tuning application to achieve anything sensible. I'm using the linuxtv
drivers (rather than the Metzler ones), v1.0.0-pre2, with a
2.4.21-pre5-ac2 kernel. My experiences so far:

hrm@vlad:src $ /sbin/lsmod
dvb-ttpci             295312   0 (unused)
videodev                5856   0 [dvb-ttpci]
grundig_29504-401       3560   1
dvb-core               38980   3 [dvb-ttpci grundig_29504-401]
[snip...]

hrm@vlad:scan $ ./scan
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'

>>> tune to:
714000000:INVERSION_OFF:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_2_3:FEC_NONE:QAM_16:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_8:HIERARCHY_NONE

>>> tuning status == 0x01!!!
>>> tuning status == 0x01!!!
>>> tuning status == 0x01!!!
>>> tuning failed!!!
[etc...]

   I'm in Southampton, which should be the Hannington transmitter.
From [1], I tried dvbtune:

hrm@vlad:src $ dvbtune -c 0 -f 706167 -i
FD 6: fd_dvr DEMUX DEVICE: : No such file or directory

   No luck here either. It works (approximately) in WinXP: I'm missing
some of the multiplexes (I can't get ITV, C4 or C5 yet -- need a
better aerial I suspect). However, I am getting a strong enough signal
that I can pick up at least the two multiplexes carrying BBC1 and Sky
News, so signal isn't a problem for testing purposes.

   What, if anything, am I doing wrong?

(Also, is there a good explanation anywhere of the terms used in
tuning, such as QAM, PID and the like?)

   Hugo.

PS. I'm using devfs, if that makes a difference.