[linux-dvb] Re: My DVB-c patch

Dennis Noordsij wrote:
Hi,

Finally got around to doing a clean start, testing one card at a time, then 2, different cable setups, etc. Here's the result:

One antenna cable was intermittently faulty. I can't believe this one. Continuity, no continuity. (Finnish fans: one word: Biltema :-)

Antenna signal splitter, active (i.e. booster). Lowers verror rate, but introduces random blockerrors (when running dvbtune -m, which updates once per second? about 1-2 blockerrors every few runs) - and in addition seems to burp every 10 seconds or so causing the entire picture on both cards to pixelate (blockerror=64).

Now, after using only passive splitters, and working cables, both cards tune perfectly! I mean all frequencies, symbolrates, and QAM settings. I have zigzagging and frequency bending disabled, the AFC can compensate for about 2 stepsizes either way of the ideal frequency, and it locks immediately and without fail.
Verror seems to be too high (also it fluctuates a lot when running xawtv or not, and waving my arms up and down really fast, etc), between 500 and 200000. In several hours of testing in every way I could think of, even in transfer mode recording several channels and playing back another, the only time there has been even a single blockerror is when a card tunes to a different transponder (see below).
I have applied parts of Jaakko's patch, and played a bit with ves1820 settings, so I will try to isolate any differences from the official driver that actually make a difference in result (if any of course).

2 questions though:
When a card changes to another transponder the other card glitches, i.e. suffers some blockerrors. Only on the exact moment of tuning. It doesn't matter which card is tuned to what transponder, same frequency or not, it just briefly burps. Any ideas?
Enable frequency bending then the 2 PLLs don't work on the same frequency anymore and interferences should disappear. Another reason could be a weak power supply.

Holger